The University of Nebraska-Lincoln contracts with StarTran to operate four bus routes Monday through Friday during the fall and spring semesters. This system of bus routes connecting the UNL campuses throughout the day is designed to ensure timely, cost effective, and simple access to classes or meetings across the university community.
Bus Riding Know-how
Bus riding is not difficult. The following transit tips will teach you how to board and get off a bus.
- To plan your waiting time, a printable route map and time schedule is available on our Bus Maps page
- A link to an interactive map with real-time GPS location of each buses between campuses can also be found on the Bus Maps page that you can view either on your desktop or mobile device.
- StarTran also provides links to bus tracking mobile apps that can be downloaded from your device app store.
- Decide which route you must take and the closest stop to you
- Buses do not stop at all stops
- To board a bus - wait for the bus at a designated UNL bus stop
- To get off a bus - use the stop signal to inform the bus driver that you wish to get off at the next stop
- Have your NCard and UNL/StarTran bus pass ready to show to the bus operator when boarding the bus
Husker Safe Walk
The UNL Police Department offers a courtesy Husker Safe Walk program where a Community Service Officer is dispatched, upon availability, to accompany you while you await the arrival of your transportation at night. There maybe an up to 15 minutes response time. For more information on Husker Safe Walk, visit this page.
Please be Aware
This service is provided as a courtesy service and is not meant for ongoing occurrences.
Student Bus Pass
The UNL/StarTran bus pass is issued and provided at no cost to all UNL students from Parking and Transit Services. If you did not receive one or have lost your bus pass, contact call 402-472-1800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: This student bus pass, provided at no additional cost, is a result of the student transit fee paid through student fees. This transit fee was passed by ASUN and supported by the majority of the student body.
Faculty Bus Pass
The UNL/StarTran bus pass can be issued upon request to all UNL faculty and staff. Bus passes are available at no cost if you purchase a regular UNL parking permit.
A bus pass without a parking permit is available for $144 annually or $108 for 9 months. This fee can be paid through payroll deduction. The bus pass can be purchased online (under the permit purchase section) or by contacting Parking and Transit Services (402-472-1800 or email).