Faculty, staff and students have two options to purchase a parking permit, online or at our office. You must have a My.UNL account (same as Blackboard, Faculty/Staff Email, and Active Directory), license plate, make, model and color of the vehicle(s) that you bring to campus.
1. Examine Your Choices
Currently all students, faculty, and staff are eligible to purchase a parking permit.
Note: Reserved and Garage permits dependent on availability.
2. Choose a Duration
Annual permit option
Faculty and staff must order/renew before July 1st for start of the fiscal year (July 1 – June 30); Students must order/renew before August for the start of the school year (mid August – Mid August). Nine-month permit option The nine month permit option is valid for the mid-Aug to mid-May school year.
Semester Permit Option
The Fall Semester permit option is valid mid-August to December 31st. The Spring Semester permit option is valid between January 1 – mid May.
3. Review the Cost
The price of permits purchased mid-year is pro-rated.
Either way you must have a valid NU I.D. number, license plate number, make, model and color of the vehicle(s) that you bring to campus.
Option 1: Order Online
Payment options online are Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover) Payroll Deduction (for Faculty/Staff only) and consolidated billing (for students only). If you wish to pay by cash or check you will need to purchase the permit at the Parking & Transit Services Office.
- Login using your My.UNL account (same as Blackboard, Faculty/Staff Email, and Active Directory).
- Read the instructions in the Permit Order section and click "Next"
- Select the permit type and desired length. Permit types are described here for faculty/staff and here for students. If you are only purchasing a bus pass please select the desired length.
- Please select or enter your vehicle information including license plate, state, color, year, make, and model. You may update your vehicle information at any time by logging into your account and selecting the Manage Your Permits and Vehicles link.
- Next select your method of payment.
- Faculty/Staff - Select Payroll Deduction and the length of deduction to deduct the cost of the permit from your paycheck on a monthly or bi-weekly basis. You need to select this option in order to take advantage of the pre-tax option for parking fees.
- Students - Select Consolidated Billing Two Installment option for 9 and 12 month terms with the first installment billed in the Fall and the second installment billed in the Spring semester or One Installment option for the total cost of the permit charged to your student bill.
- Credit Card - Faculty/Staff or Students may select credit card to bill the full cost of the permit to your MasterCard, Visa, or Discover card. You will be taken to a secured site to complete the purchase.
- Please make sure you enter a valid e-mail address, as a confirmation e-mail with your order will be sent to this address.
- Please review your order before selecting the "Pay Now" button located at the check out.
- A confirmation e-mail will be sent to your registered e-mail address
If you need to cancel your order, please E-Mail Parking and Transit Services with the permit order information.
- Refunds: It is possible to receive a refund on all prepaid annual, nine month or semester permits when you return your parking permit to the Parking and Transit Services Office. The amount of the refund is the cost of the permit, less the cost per month from the effective date or purchase date (whichever is later), and less any unpaid citations or unpaid balances. If a bus pass was ordered with the parking permit, it must be returned to receive a prorated refund or to cancel your payment obligation.
- Stop Payroll Deduction: If you wish to stop the payroll deduction, you must return the issued permit to our office in order to cancel your payroll deduction. The unpaid balance will represent your refund.
- Cancellations: Permits ordered online that are not mailed must be picked up at our office within 30 days of the permit's effective date or purchase date, whichever is later. Those not picked up will be voided and a one month permit fee will be assessed. Requests to have a permit cancelled must be made either in person, online or in writing, via email or US mail. If the permit has been processed and mailed the permit must be returned to our office in order to be cancelled and refunded.
Option 2: Order In Person
Permits are available at the Office of Parking & Transit Services, located in the Stadium Drive Parking Garage.
- Come to our office located at 625 Stadium Drive Ste A. and complete the permit application form, provided in the lobby.
- You must have your NCard, license plate number, make, model, vehicle year, and color of the vehicle(s) that you bring to campus.
Window hours are 7:30 am - 5:00 pm, Monday - Friday.
- Reserved Parking Permits-Requests for reserved parking permits will be considered if there is space available. Requests will be assigned as close as possible to the address indicated on the permit request. Space is limited.
- Unpaid Citations-All unpaid citations must be paid prior to permit renewal. Vehicles with unpaid citations over 30 calendar days old are also subject to impoundment. Failure to be informed of overdue citations at the time of registration does not relieve you of the obligation to pay for past parking citations.
- Bus Passes:
- Employees- Bus passes will be issued at no charge to permit holders upon request. Non-permit holders wishing to ride UNL or StarTran buses may purchase a bus pass from Parking and Transit Services. These passes may be purchased through payroll deduction at a rate of $10 per month.
- Students- Student bus passes for next school year will be mailed to their permanent address in August. If you do not receive a bus pass please contact the Parking and Transit Services Office. A replacement bus pass is available at the Parking and Transit Services Office.
- Non-Licensed Vehicles-If your vehicle does not have license plates, please enter the Vehicle Identification Number under the “License Plate” section and contact us when license plates are placed on the vehicle.
Additional Permit Information
- Register Vehicles
- Permit Display Rules
- Replace/Change Permit
- Reciprocal Permits
- Motorcycle Parking
- Special Permits
UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA-LINCOLN
PARKING USE AGREEMENT AND RULES SUMMARY
This is your parking use agreement. Please read it carefully as it covers a summary of the rules that you must follow. These rules are designed to provide safety, control administrative costs and bring operational efficiency, which helps keep your parking fees low while giving you high levels of service and convenience. By following these rules, everyone benefits. All permit holders are responsible for reading and understanding all rules and regulations contained within this website.
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln, through the Board of Regents and its administrative officers, is empowered by the State law (Section 85-106) to establish parking and traffic regulations and to invoke penalties for violating such regulations. Pursuant to authority granted by the State of Nebraska and assignment of responsibilities by the Board of Regents, it is the duty of UNL Parking & Transit Services and the UNL Police to enforce the official UNL Parking & Transit Services Regulations.
Parking facilities and permits are controlled by of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and are issued to a specific individual or department. Ownership is not transferable and may not be sold, exchanged, given away to any person or department other than UNL Parking and Transit Service. By obtaining a parking permit, the permit holder agrees to become familiar with and abide by the rules and regulations. Parking permits may not be duplicated, reproduced or altered in any way.
Permit Operating Hours
All University of Nebraska-Lincoln parking facilities, except metered areas and time-controlled zones, require a valid University of Nebraska parking permit, at all times. Parking permits are valid only in the area assigned during regular university operating hours. Please refer to the University Parking and Transit
Services Regulations for times when the permit is valid in other areas, http://parking.unl.edu/maps.
Permits are not required at meters and some time-controlled zones; however, the vehicle still needs to be registered at Parking and Transit Services.
Faculty, Staff and Students
All faculty, staff and students parking a vehicle on UNL-controlled property are required to register that vehicle with UNL Parking and Transit Services Department and purchase a valid University of Nebraska Parking Permit if parking in a permit area.
Display PermitAll parked vehicles shall display a valid UNL permit. Vehicles parked without a valid permit may be issued a citation and may be impounded at the owner's expense.
- Permit decals (stickers) must be properly displayed affixed to the lower driver's side windshield on the interior of window glass and
- Permit hangtags hung from the rearview mirror with the permit information displayed visible from outside the vehicle.
Parking permits from UNK, UNO, and UNMC may be used on the UNL Campus. However, University of Nebraska faculty, staff and students (UNK, UNO, and UNMC) who are primarily assigned to the UNL campus must purchase a permit from UNL's Parking and Transit Services Office and may not use permits from other campuses.
NOTE – Non-reserved permit parking is based on availability and does not guarantee the permit holder a parking space within a specific surface lot.
If you no longer need to park on campus, please return your permit to Parking and Transit Services to receive a pro-rated refund. Faculty and staff must also return a bus pass if it was issued with the permit. http://parking.unl.edu/permits/refunds.shtml
The applicant assumes all responsibility for citations issued to the permit regardless of vehicles or users. Permits are for the exclusive use of the registrant. All UNL parking facilities, except meters and time-controlled zones, require a permit at all times (unless otherwise posted).
Parking is prohibited in the following areas and manner:
- Posted "No Parking" zones.
- Any designated handicapped area without a handicap permit.
- Pedestrian crosswalks.
- Construction sites and lots.
- Barricaded or closed lots and streets.
- Any other area not specifically marked as a parking space.
- Taking two stalls. Vehicle must be parked within the boundaries of a parking stall as indicated by painted lines or in front of a port-a-curb.
- Backing into any metered stall or appearing to have backed into the stall.
- Facing the direction of oncoming traffic in parallel stalls (exception would be handicapped stalls).
- Camping or living in a motor vehicle on UNL property.
- Parking at a broken meter or meter that reads fail unless using the pay by phone option.
Transcripts, diploma, registration, and/or vehicle permit renewal may be held for nonpayment of penalties.
Park at Your Own Risk
Individuals park at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) at their own risk. Please lock your vehicle. UNL shall not be liable for any risk, or loss of, or damage to, property of individuals, including vehicles or the contents therein, which may result from the use of parking services or facilities.
Lost or Stolen Permits
If your permit is lost or stolen, you are required to report it in person to UNL Parking and Transit Services during office hours. At that time a free temporary permit will be issued for two weeks. If the permit is not located within those two weeks, you may purchase a replacement permit for $30.00 or the price of the current permit, whichever is less. If the original permit is recovered and returned to the Parking and Transit Services Department, the replacement fee will be refunded. The use of any unauthorized, stolen, counterfeit, altered, or reproduced permit or facsimile will result in confiscation of the permit, revocation of parking privileges for one calendar year, a fine of $200.00, and a report filed with the UNL Judicial Affairs Office.
Student holidays/breaks do not necessarily correspond to those of faculty and staff. All permit holders shall follow the rules and regulations at all times unless otherwise notified.
I certify that I have read the above and understand my responsibility to comply with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Parking and Transit Services Rules and Regulations. I understand that failure to do so may result in the issuance of citations, forfeiture of my parking privileges, and/or impoundment of my vehicle(s). THE FINE FOR FALSIFYING A VEHICLE REGISTRATION/APPLICATION IS $100.