The University of Nebraska-Lincoln contracts with StarTran to operate four bus routes Monday through Friday during the fall and spring semesters. This system of bus routes connecting the UNL campuses throughout the day is designed to ensure timely, cost effective, and simple access to classes or meetings across the university community.
Bus Riding Know-how
- To plan your waiting time, a printable route map and time schedule is available on our Bus Maps page
- A link to an interactive map with real-time GPS location of each buses between campuses can also be found on the Bus Maps page that you can view either on your desktop or mobile device.
- StarTran also provides links to bus tracking mobile apps that can be downloaded from your device app store.
- Decide which route you must take and the closest stop to you
- Buses do not stop at all stops
- To board a bus - wait for the bus at a designated UNL bus stop
- To get off a bus - use the stop signal to inform the bus driver that you wish to get off at the next stop
- Have your UNL/StarTran bus pass or mobile app ready to display when boarding the bus
- For more information about how to use the bus, check out a set of brief videos from StarTran. They explain how to plan, board, and effectively use the bus.
Husker Safe Walk
The UNL Police Department offers a courtesy Husker Safe Walk program where a Community Service Officer is dispatched, upon availability, to accompany you while you await the arrival of your transportation at night. There maybe an up to 15 minutes response time. For more information on Husker Safe Walk, visit this page.
Please be Aware
This service is provided as a courtesy service and is not meant for ongoing occurrences.
Student Bus Pass
All University of Nebraska–Lincoln students will receive a mobile bus pass for the 2018-19 academic year.
The StarTran bus service, provided through a contract with the City of Lincoln, connects City, East and Nebraska Innovation campuses. Student transit fees fund the student bus passes.
Mobile Bus Pass
To register and receive your mobile bus pass:
- Link to the registration form at https://www.tokentransit.com/unlpass
- Enter your mobile phone number
- Enter your NU identification number (Appears on N Card, lower left corner, in white area).
- Provide your name and email address, if you choose.
- Click the “Register for Pass” button.
- Click “Download Now.”
- Use the "Text a Link" to your phone and install the app.
- To activate the bus pass on your phone, select the app and enter your phone number. A code will be sent to you to complete the activation.
To use, tap your mobile pass on the Token Transit app to activate. Simply show the moving, animated ticket to the bus driver when boarding.
Paper bus pass
Paper bus passes are also available. To convert to a paper pass, come to the Parking and Transit Services office 625 Stadium Drive, Suite A.
Faculty Bus Pass
The UNL/StarTran bus pass can be issued upon request to all UNL faculty and staff. Bus passes are available at no cost if you purchase a regular UNL parking permit.
A bus pass without a parking permit is available for $144 annually or $108 for 9 months. This fee can be paid through payroll deduction. The bus pass can be purchased online (under the permit purchase section) or by contacting Parking and Transit Services (402-472-1800 or email).